Having been into fitness all my life and having written a fitness book, Fat Burning Secrets, I was intrigued when my friend told me about this product. I purchased one for under $30 and chose to write this Renpho Bluetooth Body Fat Scale review.
Pros of the Renpho Bluetooth Body Fat Scale
- Measurements: This scale calculates body weight, BMI, body fat percentage, water percentage, skeletal muscle, fat-free body weight, muscle mass, bone mass, protein, basal metabolism, and body age.
- Setup time: The battery is rechargeable and plugs in to a electrical wall socket just like your smartphone. It came with it’s own cable, so I plugged it in and let it charge for a an hour or so. The instructions (which come in several languages, were very easy to follow. Once the scale’s batter was charged, I downloaded the app, paired the app to the scale in seconds.
- Smartphone App:
- Easy to configure: The app was very easy to configure and required answering only a few questions regarding your details and goals. Additionally, the app wizard asks if you wish to connect to your Fitbit or to the fitness app on your phone (Health on my iPhone).
- Tracking: The app does a great job of tracking. It’s best to measure at the same time every day or week (or at least consistent intervals) for consistency. Immediately upon weighing the app defaults to providing you comparative information from your last measurement, but it provides graphing for the various measurements for the week, month and year.
- Multiple people: The app does a great job of adding additional people. It’s easy to switch people in the app, which you need to be sure to do before stepping onto the scale.
Cons of the Renpho Bluetooth Body Fat Scale
- Accuracy: I question the accuracy of the body fat percentage as a bodybuilder. It is probably ok for the average person, but by American standards at 5′ 6″, 170 lbs and a 32 inch waist and 39 inch diameter around the hips, I have a hard time believing that I’m over 16% body fat. I had a client of mine who has taken my “Diet Like A Bodybuilder” course , and it seemed pretty accurate for him. I know everybody wants to be less body fat, but I have competed in bodybuilding competitions for over 10 years. By other body fat calculators in addition to they way I look, this scale is approximately 4 points too high for me. I’m hoping that I can still use it to measure the differences accurately, however. Time will tell.
- Recording: The app records automatically, but I wish there was a way to decide to record or not to record the measurements for later. You will want to show it off to your friends and family, but by recording every time you step on the scale you interfere with the accuracy of consistent measurements at the same time of day for each measurement.
For the general public, this is a great product and I highly recommend it. The value to price ratio is extremely high at less than $30.00 US. Setup and monitoring are extremely easy.