I am in the planning stages of my own home gym as my wife and I build our home in Mexico. Like most home gym owners, I want to find exercise equipment that will provide the best workouts while taking the smallest footprint possible. In fact, because of space restrictions, my home workout equipment must work out multiple muscle groups, if possible. With this in mind, I present the top 10 home gym exercise equipment.
I tried to keep price a factor, however, if I could have only one piece of equipment, it must be a cross-cable system that can be adjusted to attack muscles from several different angles. For this reason, my ABSOLUTE must have number one choice for my home gym is what I have listed as #1, but I’m getting the top 5 for sure.
1. XMark Functional Trainer Cable Machine with Dual 200 lb Weight Stacks, 19 Adjustments, and an Upgraded Accessory Package $2119.00 w/free shipping in US
Number one purchase. I cannot stress that enough. You’ve probably seen similar machines like this in your gym, and that are so versatile, and they provide so many isolateral-based movements. In includes two 200 lb weight stacks, 19 different adjustments for the cable handles from overhead to your toes. This particular one is very heavy duty. This particular selection is an upgraded package that adds a triple chrome-plated chinning triangle, two single grip handles, and a triceps rope. Finally, this one (and any one I would choose) includes pull ups/chin ups on the split pull up handles.
2. XMark Adjustable FID Weight Bench $263.14 w/free shipping in the US
With a cross cable system like #1, 6 or 7 in this article, you will need an adjustable bench like this to best attack certain muscle groups like chest, arms and back. This XMark bench has a 1500 lb capacity, 7 back pad adjustments from full military press down to a decline press, and seat has 3 different positions. The bench is also necessary for any dumb bell work you wish to do (see #5).
It has heavy duty construction, and the 3 inch padding is comfortable and has tear and sweat-resistant covering. For decline positions, it has a foothold. Finally, it has wheels on one end for easy moving and storage.
This is another of my must haves for my gym.
3. Adjustable Aerobic Step Platform (x2 actually)$65.28 each
These light-weight, yet heavy duty aerobic step platforms serve many purposes. You can use these for stepping during cardio work, and with the barbell (see #4), you can do some of my favorite deadlift exercises. Without these steps, the range for deadlifts is too limiting.
This is why I suggest two, so you can put one under each foot with the olympic bar across them, you can go several inches lower than without them.
Constructed from recyclable high-quality polyethylene and can support up to 200 lbs.
4. Olympic Black Weight Set Black Bar – 300 Pounds $399.00 w/free shipping in US
I realize an olympic bar may not be on everyone’s top 5 list, but I’m pretty adamant about having one in my gym. I do not do squats anymore, but I do enjoy doing some deadlifts. You can do these with the cables, however. However, in case you need more weight, here’s your best choice.
The bar, weights and collars add up to 300 lbs.
5. One Pair of Adjustable Dumbbells Cast Iron Total 105 Lbs (2 X 52.5 Lbs) $101.50 w/free shipping in US
Again, the dumbbels, like the olympic bar and weights, are not mandatory for a home gym since you can get a good workout from adjustable cable system, but there are sometimes I just prefer dumbbells. The dumbbells can be adjusted to be as little as 5 lbs up to 52.5 lbs each to suit your needs.
For those of you like me, you will want a pair of dumbbells. While I like the quickly adjustable-no hassle ones, I’m not willing to pay north of $200 for them.
6. Impex Marcy Pro Home Gym Total Body Training System $999.99 w/free shipping in USI really do like #1, but this is an alternate choice. It does not include as many adjustments on the cables/handles, in fact, this on only provides overhead cables. The weights are NOT included, so you’ll have to purchase olympic-size weights separately. However, this price includes the bench and it has a smith machine and pull up bar. The constructions is very solid, and Marcy is well known in the home gym space.
7. Marcy Diamond Smith Cage Home Gym System $899.99 w/free shipping in USAnother alternative to #1 and #6, and the advantage of this one is really the accessories the bench includes. In this model, the bench includes a removable preacher curl, as well as a leg curl and leg extension attachment. Like #6, you will have to purchase the weights separately (olympic size). Additionally, this model includes a pec deck that none of the others listed in this article include. Once again, it has a sturdy all-steel frame built by Marcy.
8. Joroto Indoor Cycling Bike Trainer $379.00 w/free shipping with Amazon Prime
While my favorite cardio machine is a stair step machine, they are incredible over priced. My second choice is a good stationary bike like this one by Joroto. This bike has a 4-way adjustable seat which is comfortable on your buttocks. It also has adjustable straps for your feet on the pedals, which is mandatory for getting a good HIIT workout emphasizing hamstrings and quads.
It’s frame and 35 pound flywheel are well made and heavy duty to withstand your workouts and the test of time. It’s easy to adjust, quick to move, and as compact as you can expect from an indoor cycle. Finally, it’s got a tablet holder for you to view a cycle challenge or just watch your favorite show while working out.
9. Titan 30 lb Wall Medicine Ball $45.99 w/free shipping in US
The medicine ball comes in various weights, so adjust to your abilities. This is a great core tool to incorporate into your routine by either throwing it straight down against the floor for an abdominal exercise, or throwing it sidewise against the wall twisting at the waist to focus on obliques.
10. 1.5″ Battle Exercise Training Rope $49.99 w/free shipping with Amazon Prime
The battle exercise training rope is great for alternating in and out of HIIT routines, and furthermore they work out your entire core, shoulders and back. You can incorporate various movements to exercise glutes and legs as well. The ropes come in various widths and lengths to suit your abilities. This will be easy to wrap around the front legs of any of the 3 gyms in this article.